Anyone who knows me well, knows that I LOVE seafood, though I’m sad to report that my daughter and I contracted food poisoning at a local seafood festival that we attended last weekend.
The event was held at Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards in Clermont, Florida, which is nestled along US Highway 27 right off of the Florida turnpike. It opened in 1989 and has quickly grown to become Florida’s largest winery. This annual, three-day event featured many seafood dishes, live music, arts & craft vendors, wine tasting, and tours of the vineyard.
I had visited the winery once before but it was not during a special event so I must warn you that during festival times this place gets PACKED! I was fortunate to get a decent parking spot (only because I caught someone coming out) but others were not as lucky and literally had to park and trek through a mound of sand. Admission was only $2.00 and proceeds benefited The Autism Society of Greater Orlando.
The weather was perfect that day and we really had a great time just strolling around, nibbling on food and sipping wine. Keep in mind that these are not “high-end” wines, and I did not care for most of them, but there was one that was decent, the Southern White, which I purchased a bottle for just $9.99.
So how did we get food poisoning? To be honest, I don’t think it was the seafood that made us sick. I think it was the tartar sauce that we used which may have been spoiled from sitting out in the sun. Either way, my daughter ended up with a fever of 104 later that night and was out of school for 2 days. My body stayed strong just long enough for her to get better and then I was out of commission for another day. I won’t go into specifics but let’s just say it was awful But that is a risk one must consider when eating at outdoor events and festivals where food guidelines are not as strict.
Below is a photo re-cap of the day. Enjoy!